ACADEMIC INTENSIVE CARE UNIT
PROJECT: SOCIAL EMPOWERMENTTHROUGH QUALITY EDUCATION
AICU: ACADEMIC INTENSIVE CARE UNIT
The “Academic Intensive Care Unit (AICU)” is an innovative concept of imparting high quality education to the dropout and probable dropout students between School Grades 1st to 12th.Education on this concept is being conceived and delivered with specific approach to target stake holders by Shaheen Educational Society in Bidar-Karnataka. Their success rate is 100% since 15-years consistently. The exercise addresses the acute backwardness of the downtroddenby empowering them through quality education.
Name of Project: Social Empowerment through Quality Education
Beneficiaries: Dropouts and probable dropouts between school Grades 8th to 10th.
Role Model: This Project is devised and being successfully implemented since 15-years byShaheenEducational Institutions inBidar-Karnataka. They have eradicated the private tuition system in all their institutions. This has persuaded other institutions to follow; the result is the entire Bidar District has become tuition free now.
INTRODUCTION ABOUT SCHOOL DROPOUTS:
Dropout of students from the schooling stage of Grades 1st to 12th is rampant throughout India. Distressing fact is that the rate is growing every year. The dropout is more in Government schools and Government aided Schools compared to privately managed ones. The dropout occurs mainly in three stages: 7th to 9th, 10th, and 12th Grades.
Main reasons attributed by the community to dropouts are: Financial Scarcity, Social Backwardness, andinaccessibility of Quality Education.
- In our view the prime reason for dropout is the dearth of quality education.
- The school children from Grade 1st to 5th/6th are consciously not in serious study mode, their schooling becomes a routine attendance without outcome.
- The children start observing the outside world and its affairs from Grade 6th/7th. They are influenced more by friends, family, neighbors, and media etc.
- From Grade 6th/7th onwards educationally weak students would not understand lessons in languages and Mathematicshence, schooling becomes a burden to them. To avoid this trouble, the child seeks friendship and enjoyment outside the school.
RESPONSIBILITY OF ALL:
The dropout is not merely an educational problem; it is a growing menace affecting the whole society. The society is discussing the issue, government and NGOs are providing scholarships and materials to students; all this is not helping to solve the problem. The solution is to diagnose the problem that students are weak in Mathematics and languages. That is the reason they are not able to understand the teaching. We need to address the issue on priority and implement rapid projects of Quality Education through AICU on all India basis. Community’s dedication to country-wide educational improvement is essential.
ACADEMIC INTENSIVE CARE UNIT:
- The need of the hour is to have an intensive program with focus on the targeted stake holders.
- ShaheenEducationan Foundation has devised a special program called AICU (Academic Intensive Care Unit).
- SHAHEEN has special program of Screening, testing and separate classrooms for dropout students. They have been implementing it successfully since 15-years in Bidar-Karnataka
There will be a screening test for dropout, probable dropout, and educationally weak students from 5th to 10th Grades.
After the screening and selection of such students, their classroom will function as follows:
- Students in the age group of 12 to 16 years.
- Number of Teachers: 04.
- Number of Students: 24.
- Teacher and Students ratio1:6.
- Subjects taught: Mathematics, English and local language/s.
- Teaching Hours per day: 06.
- One and a half hour for each Subject.
- Duration of AICU Course: 30 to 45 days.
- Teaching would commence from the current level of understanding of each student.
- It would be tailor-made for individual ability and learning pattern.
- Students in the age group of 12 to 16 years are eligible for AICU.
- School dropouts due to problem in understanding the subjects.
- Regular students who are performing below average in their class and may dropout.
- Children who never had formal education or schooling.
Method of Teaching:
- One to one teaching with individual attention.
- Includes daily class work & home work.
- Doubt clarification with easy examples.
- Practicing to achieve good handwriting.
- Teaching material in the form of Books is provided.
MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION:
Daily dictation tests.Weekly written tests.Daily home works. Students are graded in three stages with three levels in each stage:
- The child andparents are compulsorily counseled before making admission in AICU.
- It is to ensure that parents and the child take utmost interest in learning process.
- To eradicate the feeling of backwardness and to develop the confidence in them.
- Counseling Sheet.
- Admission Form.
- Admission Register.
- Attendance Register.
- Weekly Test Record
- Feedback Form.
- Daily Home Work and Class Work Records.
Aims & Objectives:
- To ensure the upliftment of each and every child through Quality education.
- To reduce the total number of dropouts due to non-understanding of subjects.
- To build confidence in the child through motivation and special care.
- To make Teaching-Learning process effective for all.
- To diagnose the problems and to impart remedial teaching.
- To enhance the literacy rate of the country.
- To recreate interest for the studies among the students.
- To help them become responsible citizens and good human beings.
Hifzul Quran Plus
Hifzul Quran Plus is for huffaz between 12 to 17 years. A 4-year integrated course for Huffaz-E-Karam for getting modern education
By pursuing this course and by appearing in competitive exams (NEET-IIT JEE), Huffaz will be able to get admission into MBBS, BE, & MBA. In’Shaa’Allah, this is possible.
This course consists of four phases.
- Foundation Course: (6 months) apart from reading and writing in English and Hindi, basic education of mathematic.
- Bridge Course: (6 months) Huffaz are trained to be eligible for 10th class’s basic Science, Math, English, and Grammar of Languages.
- 10th class: (1 year) a complete preparation for appearing 10th class with maximum marks.
- Junior College: (2 years) preparation of 12th class along with competitive examinations.
Alhamdulillah! This course is successfully being run for the past 5 years in Shaheen, Bidar, KA.
Huffaz that were not in touch with modern education, in a very short period of 3 to 4 years have completed 10th, 11th, 12th and have taken admission for MBBS, BE, BSc, etc.
Islamic Scholars, Educational Experts, & Intellectuals throughout India are appreciating and supporting this program and it is their wish that this program be introduced throughout the world.
Alhamdulillah, this program has been started in various cities throughout India with the help of such concerned persons. Admissions are open, interested Huffaz can take admission in the nearest centers.